Durham’s 2019 Jog-A-Thon 9/27/19
- Friday, September 13: Jog-a-thon pledge packets go home with students
- Friday, September 13: Create a fundraising page at http://www.pledgestar.com/durham
- Thursday, September 26: Chalk Night (6pm-7pm) Help us decorate the school sidewalks
- Friday, September 27: The 31st Annual Durham Elementary JOG-A-THON
- Wednesday, October 9: Deadline to return pledge money to be eligible for awards
- Tuesday, October 15: Final day for all money to be turned in
- Friday, October 18: Awards Assembly for students
Thank you to our 2019 Sponsors:
HOW IT WORKS
This is our one and only major fundraising event for the school year. Students use the pledge envelope to collect pledges from sponsors for flat or per lap amounts. On September 27, students will jog/walk around the Durham School athletic field for 30 minutes. Based on the number of laps completed (each lap is 1/10 of a mile), students will collect their pledge money. Pledge envelopes with money need to be returned to the school by Wednesday, October 9 to be eligible for grand prizes and class prizes presented during the Awards Assembly.
The following is a list of the classes and the times that students will jog:
- 10:00 AM – 10:30 AM: Kindergarten
- 10:40 AM – 11:10 AM: 3rd Grade
- 11:15 AM – 11:45 PM: 2nd Grade
- 11:55 AM – 12:25 PM: 5th Grade
- 12:35 PM – 1:05 PM: 1st Grade
- 1:15 PM – 1:45 PM: 4th Grade
Be sure to come to school ready to jog/walk. Wear comfortable shoes and appropriate clothing.
All students at Durham Elementary will participate in this wellness activity. Parents are encouraged to attend and cheer on their joggers!
This event will take place rain or shine, so dress accordingly.
Questions? Email email@example.com
CHECKS CAN BE MADE PAYABLE TO: Durham Elementary PSO
The money raised at this event is used to enhance the experience of students at our school. Activities include field trips, special assemblies, reading programs and additional technology for student use in classrooms as well as enhancements to our Art Literacy program and music and physical education programs. The funds are used to benefit all students at Durham Elementary.
There are two ways to collect pledges from friends and family. You can collect pledges using both methods. You do not to need record online pledges on your pledge envelope, they will be tracked separately and combined for awards.
1. Pledge Envelopes: Donors print their name and fill in the amount they wish to pledge. Pledges can be a flat amount (MINIMUM $1.00) or pledge per lap run. If it is a flat pledge, you may choose to collect the pledge at the time it is made rather than waiting until after the Jog-a-thon. Otherwise, the student will return after September 27 (with the number of laps they completed) to collect their pledge.
2. Online Fundraising: We use an awesome web based fundraising system that makes it much easier for you to request pledges from your family and friends, and for them to make secure credit or debit card donations online. Here are the directions to get started:
- Go to www.pledgestar.com/durham
- Enter your name and email address, then click Register
- Follow the instructions on-screen
When you finish, the system emails pledge requests to your family and friends, and allows them to make secure credit card donations online. You get notified each time a pledge is made, and you can track your pledge progress online. For families with more than one student enrolled at Durham Elementary, your online donations will be split equally between the students in your family. It also provides you with a link to post on social media.
All donations are tax deductible. Please consider asking your employer if your company is able to provide matching funds for your donation.
Please help your student collect pledges. People to contact include relatives, family friends and neighbors. Try to help your child find as many sponsors as possible, but remember, don’t let your children go out door-to-door alone.
The day of the Jog-a-thon, students will take home their racing bib which indicates the number of laps they completed. Apply this number to their pledge envelope if your child has per lap pledges. Your child may keep their race bib as a souvenir (we do not need race bibs returned to the school)
Thank you for your help in explaining the importance of this major fundraiser to your child.
NOTE: The students will receive a Jamba Juice Strawberry Whirl (8 oz) after they complete the Jog-a-thon. If your child has a food allergy, please send an appropriate snack for them.
JOG-A-THON AWARDS & PRIZES
Every participating student will receive a water bottle and a t-shirt.
FUNDRAISING GRAND PRIZE
The top ten student fundraisers are invited to join Principal Boudreau for a Pizza Party at Chuck E. Cheese on November 15, 2019 after school, transportation to the party provided in a limousine.
All students who turn in a pledge envelope with a minimum $1 pledge will be entered in to a drawing for fun prizes.
CLASSROOM PARTIES: Six classroom parties will be awarded to: one class at each grade level who has the highest percentage of student participation. In addition, the grade level with the highest percentage of student participation will be awarded a free seating day at lunch time. All prizes are awarded and announced at the Jog-a-thon assembly during October.
$200 CLUB: Students who collect $200+ in pledges will receive a pass to The Circuit Bouldering Gym good for two people.
PLEDGE INCENTIVE AWARDS
1 Pledge A free ice cream cone from Sonic (minimum $1.00 donation) 10 Pledges One free open swim pass for the Tigard Swim Center
IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THESE PRIZES, RETURN PLEDGE ENVELOPE BY WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9.
Are you not sure what to say when asking your family, friends and neighbors to sponsor you for the Jog-a-thon?
1) Introduce yourself: My name is____________________
2) Tell them what you are doing:
I go to Durham Elementary School. Our school is holding our annual
Jog-a-thon on September 27 and I am helping to raise money by collecting pledges from sponsors. You can sponsor me by pledging an amount per lap or a flat pledge. All the money goes towards my school for, field trips, classroom technology, new library books, STEAM night and music & art programs.
3) Ask them to sponsor you: Would you like to help our school by sponsoring me?
Be sure to give a courtesy “thank you” even if they choose not to sponsor you.
Remember do not go door-to-door alone.
Parents you can post a link to your Pledgestar fundraising page on social media. It’s a
great way to let your friends and family support our school! Sign up at www.pledgestar.com/durham